Recently I posted a Top Ten Tuesday about books I rarely talk about! And Evelyn from Moonlit books said to do a post about Keeper of the last cities. And I totally agree, since more people should read this amazing series.
Let’s first start with some information about the first book!
Title: Keeper of lost cities.
Author: Shannon Messenger.
Release day: October 2nd 2012.
Genre: Middle Grade, Fantasy
Twelve-year-old Sophie Foster has a secret. She’s a Telepath—someone who hears the thoughts of everyone around her. It’s a talent she’s never known how to explain.
Everything changes the day she meets Fitz, a mysterious boy who appears out of nowhere and also reads minds. She discovers there’s a place she does belong, and that staying with her family will place her in grave danger. In the blink of an eye, Sophie is forced to leave behind everything and start a new life in a place that is vastly different from anything she has ever known.
Sophie has new rules to learn and new skills to master, and not everyone is thrilled that she has come “home.”
There are secrets buried deep in Sophie’s memory—secrets about who she really is and why she was hidden among humans—that other people desperately want. Would even kill for.
In this page-turning debut, Shannon Messenger creates a riveting story where one girl must figure out why she is the key to her brand-new world, before the wrong person finds the answer first.
The whole series:
- Keeper of lost cities, 496 pages, 2012, 4 stars.
- Exile, 576, 2013, 4 stars.
- Everblaze, 624, 2014, 4 stars.
- Neverseen, 672, 2015, 4 stars.
- Lodestar, 688, 2016, TBR.
- Nightfall, 794, 2017, TBR.
- Flashback, 848, 2018, TBR.
- Legacy, 816, 2019, TBR.
- Untitled, expected publication November 11th 2020.
So as you can see I’ve read the first 4 books and rated them all 4 stars! And I’m very excited to continue on with this series ASAP. So let’s now go into the reasons why you should read this series as well!
Reasons to read Keeper of lost cities:
- Characters. Literary all the characters in this book are amazing! Of course we have our main character Sophie, she doesn’t know anything about this world, and we are learning about it together with her which is the best. But besides her there are so many other characters, Keefe, Fitz, Biana and Dex and I honestly love them all! Especially Keefe! (These are the characters introduced in the first book, there are more new characters introduced later on). All of the characters go through so much development, and you see them learning and apologizing for their mistakes!
- Friendship. To continue on with the characters, the friendship between these characters is also amazing!
- The world. Honestly the world created here is amazing! There is this whole world besides the human world, who don’t know anything about this. In this ‘other’ world there are Elves and Trolls and many more! There are also all these animals that we don’t know about. I love that the further I get into the series the ‘bigger’ the world becomes and the more I learn!
- The magic. Another part of this world is the magic. Most of the elves have some kind of power, and it is so amazing to learn about all these powers. And we learn more and more throughout the series!
- The humour. For a Middle grade series, this is so funny! I would say this is Rick Riordan level funny! Which I would say says a lot!
- Fast-paced. I know from the beginning of this post you know that these books are long, especially for Middle grade books. But believe me you will fly through these books! There is so much good action, so much to learn, so much to explore, and the writing is amazing!
- The covers are amazing, so you want them on your shelves!
- (If you have scribd, you can read them from there! You won’t even have to hold these huge books!)
I really hope this post has convinced you to pick up this series! I really recommend it if you need a fast, funny, amazing read!