Back in July I did a post about books I *probably* won’t continue, and I thought I would up date that list. I won’t name the same series again, you could look at that list here if you want!
These are books that in this moment in time I don’t feel like continuing, but of course that does not mean I cannot change my mind about them! (and of course we all have different opinions, so I’m happy for you if these are series you love!)
- October Daye series by Seanan McGuire – I only read book one, but it just did not interest me so much, didn’t hate it though but there are other books that interest me way more.
- The fifth season by NK Jemisin – I know there are so many people out there who love this series, but I just didn’t get it I think?!
- Leviathan wakes by James SA Corey – I’m putting this one on this list a bit hesitantly, because I really wanted to love this series, but again I think I just did not understand this one?! I might reread it to try again!
- These broken stars by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner – I read the first two books, but have no interest in the last one whatsoever..
- A curse so dark and lonely by Brigid Kemmerer – This one is probably no surprise, I have not made it secret that I did not enjoy this book at all haha!
- Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin – This was just not what I expected from it, and was quite disappointed.
- Ninth house by Leigh Bardugo – Did not even finish this book haha
- Gideon the ninth by Tamsyn Muir – Another book where I feel like I just did not understand what I was reading..
- Furyborn by Claire Legrand – I’m actually surprised this was not on my previous list.. Did not enjoy this one.
- Red rising by Pierce Brown – Another one that I really wanted to love, but I just did not connect with it.
- The glass spare by Lauren Destefano – This book was just a mess..
- The wicked + The divine by Kieron Gillen – A graphic novel series, I just didn’t enjoy the story line..
I hope I did not offend anyone with this list ahah!
21 thoughts on “Series I won’t continue!”
I will stand on the hill with you over Gideon and Serpent and Dove. I had to DNF Gideon and I was warned not to start SAD because of my romance triggers. Gideon was my breaking point on Space Operas as a genre. I’m with you on those.
Good to hear I’m not alone haha!
I honestly should have DNF’ed Gideon as well!
It must feel a little freeing to let these go! I have such a hard problem giving up on things, I always feel like I want to get back to them eventually haha.
It does! (although for some of them I’m still like ‘maybe someday?!’)
I really wanted to get into October Daye because I love urban fantasy, but somehow it wasn’t for me! I totally feel you about Gideon, I almost bailed on the series, but the back half of the book ended up being WAY better than the first half, so I’m going to try the sequel.
But hey, for every series you don’t keep reading, that’s just more time for stuff you’ll actually enjoy!
I keep hearing people loving the second half of Gideon way better, but I think I was way too lost in the first half, to understand the second half haha!
Different tastes for different readers! The October Daye is probably my favorite thing ever. 🙂 And I’m really enjoying The Expanse books too, although I’ve been taking them slowly, maybe one a year whenever a new TV season comes out. I have so many series I’ve abandoned. Sometimes, all it takes it one book to know that it’s not what I want to spend time on!
I’ve heard so many people loving October Daye, but I guess I just could not connect with the story!
The expanse is one of the series that I might give another try at smoe point! Just for right now I don’t feel the need to continue!
There are a few here I haven’t read yet. I loved The Expanse TV series so I have the first book but I haven’t read it yet. I also have Red Rising and Furyborn on my shelves.
Some series I decided not to continue… Maximum Ride, I read the first couple of books years ago and loved them, but didn’t get round to continuing and in the end my excitement for that series just fizzled out and decided I wasn’t that interested in reading it anymore. I Am Number Four, I read the book because I liked the film, but I didn’t love the book enough to continue with the series.
All of those are really loved by readers! I just could not connect with the story..
I’ve never read Maximum ride haha, and I feel like now is way too late anyway!
I think I actually read quite some books in the I’m number four series, but it has been quite a while, can’t really remember the story or where I left off hahaa! Guess it didn’t make the best impression!
Not sure if I wanna continue ACSDaL. I did enjoy the first book, gave it 4 stars and said it’s one of the best Beauty and the Beast retellings I’ve ever read but the book’s pacing was a huge issue for me. Plus, I was never excited for the next book. It’s not a definite no for me yet but I don’t have plans to continue it for now
I also struggled with the pacing!
I have The Glass Spare on my bookshelf but still haven’t read it. Sounds like I’m not missing much! 🙂
I didn’t understand it at all haha..! So no I don’t think you’re missing much..
I dnfed Serpent & Dove, ha. I also didn’t like A Curse so Dark and Lonely.
Good to hear I’m not the only one haha!
Yes Serpent& Done was so disappointing! In not planning to continue on with it either.
This book got so many mixed reviews haha! Glad I’m not the only one with no interest at all in continuing!
I tend to start the first book in a series but get bored by the second book. I call it Trilogy Syndrome because it’s usually with trilogies or quartets.
Ooh so often the ‘middle’ book lacks something, sometimes it hard to then push through to the next book!
Comments are closed.