We´re getting to the end of the year so it is time to talk about my ´worst´ reads of the year!
I actually think I will split this list in DNF´s, disappointing and worst reads! For all of them, if I have a review, it will be linked!
So let´s start with the DNF´s!
- Snakewood by Adrian Shelby
- Fable by Adrienne Young
- Zoe Rosenthal is not Lawfully Good by Nancy Werlin
- An Unkindness of Magician by Kat Howard
- The Serpent’s Curse by Lisa Maxwell (really sad since I loved the first two books..)
- We Free the Stars by Hafisah Faizal (I might try again by physically reading both books!)
- The Mask of Mirrors by MA Carrick
- Honor Among Thieves by Rachel Caine
- Red Tigress by Amélie Wen Zhao (Didn’t remember things from book one)
- She Who Became the Sun by Shelby Parker Chan (I think this was just wrongly sold to me?!)
- Flashback by Shannon Messenger – 2 stars. These books are just getting too long.
- Lost in the Never Woods by Aiden Thomas – 2 stars. I loved Cemetery Boys, so this was kinda a letdown.
- Realm Breaker by Victoria Aveyard – 2 stars. I’m one of those people who absolutely loved the Red Queen series, but this one just missed the mark for me.
- The Light of All that Falls by James Islington – 2 stars. I loved book one, book two was okay, but this one was just too long. (I’ve actually unhauled this by now)
- Lady of the Lake by Andrzej Sapkowski – 2 stars. This series started strong for me, but went downhill..
- Dragon Reborn by Robert Jordan – 2 stars. I think this was mainly on me, too much time between book 2 and 3. (I enjoyed book 4 again!)
- Witchshadow by Susan Dennard – 2 stars. This really was a let-down, I loved the first two books, enjoyed book three, reread them all before this one. And then I really didn’t like this one.. (I’m actually thinking about unhauling this series)
Worst reads (I actually struggled a bit with making a division between worst and disappointing haha)
- Bunny by Mona Awed – 1 star. I read this back in January and I still remember how much I disliked reading this.. I think people hate or love this book.
- A Winter’s Promise by Christelle Dubois – 1 star. I heard so many great things, but I was just bored while reading this?!
- The Goblin Empire by Katherine Addison – 2 stars. I just didn’t care for this one?
- The Wolf and the Woodsman by Ava Reid – 2 stars. I read this last month, and I could not tell you what it was about?!
- The Prison Healer by Lynette Noni – 2 stars. I love trials, but I didn’t like how it was done in this one. Although I have seen many people really enjoying this one since!
- For the Wolf by Hannah F Whitten – 2 stars. I should stop letting myself being fooled by amazing covers..
- The Strange Case of the Alchemist Daughter by Theodore Goss – 2 stars. Too much historical for me..
- Witches Steeped in Gold by Ciannon Smart – 2 stars. Another great cover, but the story just didn’t grab me..
- The Extraordinaries by TJ Klune – 2 stars. I mean the author did warn that it was quite different from The House in the Cerulean Sea, so I could have known!
16 thoughts on “Worst reads of 2021!”
Shame about the serpent’s curse- I really liked the first one, but I wasn’t excited enough about the second one to continue the series. And that’s a real pity about an unkindness of magicians- I’m curious about that one. I loved the first licanius book too, but wasn’t enamoured enough with the second one to continue- seems like it’s not worth continuing unfortunately :/ I wasn’t blown away by the goblin emperor either. haha I need to stop being fooled by beautiful covers too- I was wooed by the covers for witches steeped in gold and for the wolf too- both were dnfs!
So sad the The Shadow of what was Lost starts of so strongly but just goes downhill..
Beautiful covers are a trap! Glad I’m not the only one who didn’t enjoy those!
Hahahahaha. I have so many of these on my TBR it’s not even funny. Maybe I’ll just shove them to the back?!!
HAhaa oops..! Opinions differ though!
I DNFed For the Wolf – such a pretty cover, such boring content! Also, I’m one of the weirdos that loved Bunny. It is WILD, though.
I was really thinking about that! But because of the cover I wanted to love it haha!
I ended up DNFing For the Wolf! But of your not-liked books, I see three that I loved (The Goblin Emperor, The Extraordinaries, The Alchemist’s Daughter)… so funny how different people can have such different reactions!
It is! Glad you did enjoy them though!
I agree with so many titles!! The Mask of Mirrors, I had to force myself to read it! The Wolf and the Woodsman was a massive DNF, me too, I couldn’t really understand what was happening!! I finished last week A Winter’s Promise and it was a massive disappointment. Great list!! We do share similar taste!!
Oh wow we do haha!
I haven’t read any of these but am actually hoping to get The Wolf and the Woodsman for Christmas Now you’ve made me a little scared, but hopefully, I’ll enjoy it more than you did!
I hope you do!
I was also disappointed by Witchshadow. It just didn’t have the same appeal as the rest of the series which is a shame!
Aw, I hate being excited for books and then they don’t live to my expectations! I’m sorry to hear you didn’t like The Winters Promise or Steeped in Gold! I was really excited to read those ones! I know everyone has different taste so hopefully I like them but I will be on guard so I’m not let down! 🙂
Amber @ Escape Life in the Pages</a
I hope you will enjoy them more then me!
Comments are closed.